Thursday, March 25, 2010

Back Story

I've already posted about how I used to track with my first Dobe, Jemma. I can't remember why we stopped tracking--it might have been because that's about the same time I started doing agility. I've wanted to get back to tracking for years but just could never get started again. I'm pretty famous for never going *back* to anything. Once I stop doing something I rarely-- if ever-- go back to doing it again. But with tracking I think the thing that stopped me was primarily because I didn't have anyone to help me with the training.

It's pretty difficult to find someone who's really knowledgeable who offers tracking classes. Sometimes clubs will offer seminars but just like all seminars, once the presenter goes home you're still left with no one to help. And unlike obedience or agility, it's hard to tell when you're not doing it right. We don't know what the dog is scenting when they track. We can only hope they're following our track. We often wind up guiding them along the track without even realizing it. And if we hit a training snag, it's hard to even identify the problem.

So, my first thought was that maybe I could get someone who I knew did tracking to come over on a regular basis to help me. There are several really experienced trackers around my area but unfortunately they were too busy to be able to committ to that kind of schedule. However, a couple of them suggested I contact Allison who is a tracking judge and Westie breeder who lives not far away. Allison has lots of experience not just with tracking but also with teaching tracking so I had the idea that maybe I could get a few people together who all wanted to learn tracking and we could bring Allison up on a regular basis. Meanwhile we could help each other with training (maybe somewhat like the blind leading the blind but still fun) and lay tracks for each other.

So earlier this month Allison came up and gave us a great basic tracking seminar and helped us get our dogs started. She suggested we track only a couple of times a week and to keep the tracks short and motivational. Her approach to starting dogs is different than the method I used 20 years ago. Instead of putting in straight tracks for beginner dogs, Allison uses tracks that are serpentine in nature. That way instead of teaching dogs that all tracks are straight and then suddenly introducing turns, she introduces the idea that tracks can go anywhere right from the beginning. It's sort of the same idea as teaching agility dogs how to turn over jumps right from the beginning rather than letting them blast straight ahead for 6 months and suddenly expecting them to be able to collect in front of a jump. I think it's brilliant.

So ever since I've been tracking Zodi about 2-3 times a week just putting in a couple of short-ish tracks and then running them right away. I think we're doing OK but it's kind of hard to tell for sure. Luckily, Allison is coming up in a couple of weeks so hopefully I won't have enough time to really wreck her until she can help fix some of the problems I've created for myself.


One of the best things about tracking, in my opinion, is that you can't force it on the dog. You have no way of knowing whether the dog is really tracking the scent or not. Most dogs are plenty smart enough to pretend to track if the handler is too compulsive or makes too many mistakes. I'm sure more than one handler has thought their dog was tracking like mad only to discover their mistake when the dog pulls them straight to the freshest pile of deer poop they can find and then joyously rolls in it.

The other thing about tracking that many people don't find out until they get started is that there's a lot for the handler to think about.. Laying tracks is not the easiest thing I've ever done. You have to be able to walk a straight line while carrying food, articles, flags and a clipboard all the while making notes, counting off how many yards it's been since you made a food drop, noticing that you just walked over a gopher hole that's probably way too much of a distraction for your dog at this stage of the game noting on your map which way the wind is blowing, whether that blade of grass is different enough from the other blades to go on your map as a marker for the turn you're about to put in and making sure you don't drop your articles all over the track. Oh and don't forget to make a note of the time you put the track in, where you put the crosstracks and what time it was and then, just as you go to run your dog you see a troop of boyscouts setting up a picnic in the middle of your track's third leg.

But for some reason that's just so much fun. And so worthwhile when you see your dog nail that turn and pull down the final leg toward the article. Who knew?

3 comments:

  1. Ah, it's all coming back to me now, the reasons I didn't keep up with tracking. Way harder than it sounds, even "just" keeping track of where the track is. I kept losing my track, which is just about the worst thing, very frustrating for me, and my poor green dog. Seems there's quite an art, and a science to it. I'll look forward to reading about your upcoming tracking adventures and any tips that may follow suit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny that many of the things you like about tracking are many of the things I didn't care for. Laying a track--boring! Yeah, we started with turns right away (this was with my Remington 15-16 years ago). Gather all your equipment--posts and treats and harness and whatever--drive way the heck to where there's some kind of field you can lay a couple of tracks in. Spend 10 minutes laying a track (as you say, juggling everything and putting in the flags and dropping the treats), then the dog does it in, like, a minute. Then you haul everything over to the other side of hte field, another 10 minutes laying a track, dog does it in a minute, and then you're done. Like you, we were told not to do more than a couple every few days because it exhausts the dogs. So then I wasn't getting any exercise, I didn't feel like I was getting any mental activity, I wasn't working with my dog as a team really, I was just the one holding onto the line. OK, it was cool watching the dog figure it out. But, jeez, an hour of time for two one-minute track followings [maybe it was 2 minutes of dog activity, I dunno, it was just a fraction of the time it took to lay the track]. So I'm glad that you enjoy it! Someone's got to become an expert at it so people keep on knowing how to teach dogs to track effectively! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad that I found this blog.

    I'm trying to get back into tracking too. A lot of my problems come from not having any help either. I joined a "local" tracking club, but the members live too far to help out with any tracking training.

    And actually, there's a lot of breed prejudice (which I didn't expect in tracking; everyone talks about how great the camaraderie is in tracking), so the members of the club probably wouldn't be willing to help me even if I did live closer.

    Plus, my area of the state is called the Pine Barrens, because it's basically barren except for pine trees. Which grow in a very sandy, acidic soil that kind of prohibits grass growth. A few people that did deign to talk to me about tracking said that they wouldn't start a dog with TD work in the conditions down here, they might use it for TDX work. But since the grass and cover is so sparse, when the dogs would get to a regular TD test, they'd be flooded with scent from the heavier cover and wouldn't be able to track.

    But, nevertheless, we are trying to get back into it too.

    I can't wait to read more of the blog. She's my Novice A dog and we're almost ready to trial in agility, too.

    ReplyDelete