Monday, April 19, 2010

Sunny Sunday Tracking





Had a great day of tracking last Sunday. It was sunny and about 60 when we got started. Several of us were there to work with Allison, a follow up to the introductory seminar we had in March. As Allison went around the group asking us how and what we'd been doing since our last meeting, I realized that I was definitely with the right group of people. Almost everyone had been tracking once or twice a week with quite a bit of success. We have a variety of experience with tracking in the group but everyone is an experienced dog trainer and well able to help each other by observing each other and listening to what Allison had to say.



Here's how it worked:

After we chatted briefly about the experiences we'd had since March, we were given our "assignments tracks". Some people were advised to set somewhat longer tracks, some shorter. Some were advised to age their tracks a bit longer, put down less food (most of us were advised to use less food) or use less scuffing. Allison's advice is to get the food off the track as quickly as possible so that the dog isn't distracted from tracking by looking for the food. That might sound contradictory but if the dog is actually scenting the track itself, when they suddenly smell a food drop, they stop following the scent cone (and there are different opinions on what makes up a scent cone) and start looking for the food. Once they eat the food then they esentially have to start looking for the track all over again. This was very obvious on Zodi's track but more on that later. We were also reminded how to lay the tracks so that the wind was at our backs and to wait 20 minutes between tracks so we could all walk the track with Alison and hear what she had to say to the handler.





So the first thing I did was to lay my track on the crown of a hill which meant a nice, playful little breeze was skittering around and across it. I should have realized that the air would be moving around much more up there as opposed to where I tested it which was in a gully. And of course I didn't wait 20 minutes until I put my track in which meant I either had to run it at 45 or 50 minutes or skip walking the track before mine. Since the track before mine was Mona's (Zodi's BFF) I decided it would be better to skip walking that one. As it was, when I got Zodi out of the car she immediately dragged me to Mona's car looking in all the windows hoping to find her. It's pretty cute now but at the time I was a little concerned that Zodi wouldn't be able to track if she knew Mona was in the vicinity.





When it came time for Zodi's track there were about 5 people all walking and talking right behind me. And Zodi is such a little social butterful anyway, I was really doubting we'd have a good track. She ate the food drop at the start flag but only after I pointed to it. Then she went back to making goo-goo eyes at the gallery hoping someone would offer to pat her. I re-started her after a couple of minutes and she went a little way down the track but then started looking back at the gallery and up in the sky at the birds flying by and then sniffing around for deer droppings. I just stood there waiting and chatting with the gallery for about 5 minutes until she finally decided it was going to be more fun to track than to just stand there. Once she got started she was great. She put her little nose down and stayed there. Until we came up on the first food drop. As she approached it her head went up, she started casting around and going in circles until she found the drop. After she found it (and ate it, of course) she pulled very steadily to the next one. I'm not very good (actually I stink) at laying serpentine tracks. Mine are straight lines with a very open turn followed by another straight line followed by an open turn, etc. The turns went mostly left and when I started to make them to the right I started to run out of room so my track didn't resemble a serpentine as much as say, a checkmark. But she found the glove I put down on one of the legs easily and then pulled hard the rest of the way. She probably only overshot the turns by 3 or 4 feet and didn't circle at all. I was very happy with her track and Allison said she had nothing to suggest other than to get the food off the track and just put down an extra glove or maybe two on the longer tracks. Then, when I removed the harness and let her go out to the end of the line, she just kept right on tracking me to the edge of the field and out to where the cars were parked. I love seeing that. It just proves that they really aren't doing it to find food but because they enjoy it.



Some of the questions that people had for Allison were:



How quickly do you want to get the food off the track? Her answer was as quickly as you can. A TD track is 450 to 500 yards long and there's no food on it so the longer you use food on the track, the harder it will be to pick it up. Put an article down for motivation and then feed the dog from your pocket when they find and nose the article.



Should we be teaching article indication? Not yet. For a TD track they only have to nose the article so rather than take a chance that you're going to squelch their enthusiasm for tracking by insisiting on a particular behavior to signal the glove, wait until after you get your TD to worry about that. Allison continues to say that the difference between TD training and TDX training is like the difference between attending grade school and getting a PhD. She said there is so much training to do for the TDX that we should concentrate on training for the TD (and I interpret this to mean also focusing on keeping motivation high), pass that, and then start worrying about things like article indication, cross tracks, aging the track change of cover, etc.

Oh, and my purple and yellow argyle tracking line received many compliments so I considered it a very successful day of Tracking :-)

4 comments:

  1. love hearing about Zodi and her progress (& yours) with tracking. I never really knew what tracking was until I read your blog. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like a great group. How fun that Zodi followed your scent all the way back to the car! Dogs are so clever and so versatile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi!

    I’ve enjoyed exploring your site! I too am a dog lover. I’m also a filmmaker at Columbia University in NYC and recently made a short romantic comedy about a guy who thinks his dog can talk. It’s called, "Dear Dog, I Love You", and it stars a very special rescued dog. We plan to use the finished product to raise support for shelters and the rescue process.

    Because of your interest in the dog community, I wondered if you might do a post to your readers on your site or facebook about my film. We've already shot the movie, but need some assistance with the post-production and therefore have started a Kickstarter campaign to raise funds.
    This is a special film because it stars the up and coming dog actor Paul Newman. A few short years ago, Paul Newman was found tied and starved in an abandoned garage. He was rescued by Suzanne Fitch of Mid-Atlantic Basset Hound Rescue, where he was matched with his wonderful trainer and caretaker, Karen. Now Paul Newman is one of the smartest and most talented dogs I know.

    Please check out the trailer and campaign here:

    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/895820041/dear-dog-i-love-you-an-awkward-love-comedy?ref=live

    Because of his amazing story, we think this is a great opportunity to draw attention to the animal rescue community. As mentioned above, once we finish our film, we hope to share it with shelters and the rescue community in hopes that some of the proceeds made from the film can help take care of dogs in need.

    I understand if you don't do these sorts of things on your website, but would appreciate any little shout out you could give. Please let me know if you have any questions or if I can provide any further information for you.

    Thanks!

    Jed

    ReplyDelete